My Mum killed herself nearly two years ago. She was 54 years old.
I wanted to contribute my Five Things because people need to talk about grief from suicide. I’ve lied or omitted to tell a lot of people how my Mum died, because of shame and also because I didn’t want to have painful and difficult conversations.
Here are my Five Things.
1. If someone wants to end their own life, they will do so and it is unlikely that anyone can stop them. They will find a way.
2. Suicide is still a massive social taboo.
3. There is no ONE reason for someone's suicide but a lifetime of reasons. That is why it can be so hard to comprehend.
4. The weight of a suicide makes grief so much more confusing, harder to bear and more difficult to talk about.
5. There is always a better way, isn't there? However, that person could not see that when they made the decision to end their life.
You can follow Lauren on Instagram.