1. We are mortal beings who will one day die, place that fact at the centre of your life for a richer existence.
2. Growing old should be embraced and celebrated, not hidden or fought.
3. Life does not last forever so live it fully.
4. Don't be consumed by material things, you can't take any of it with you.
5. Look after and love your body, it is your transportation through life.
Lucy is a PhD student at University of Winchester, her work examines The Cross Bones Graveyard in Southwark, where she also volunteers as a site warden. She is interested in the relationship between death and space, death rituals, bad death and cemeteries as a vessel for social change. In 2016, Lucy wrote Little Book of Maudism, the book comprises of ten lessons to live and die by from the ultimate death positive film, Harold and Maude.
Lucy’s Death & the Maiden posts can be found here.